We need to be satisfied that you have the necessary knowledge of English to practise safely in the UK.
Communicating includes speaking, reading, writing and listening.
Your International English Language Testing System(IELTS) certificate must show:
- that you took the academic version of the test;
- that you obtained a score of at least 7.0 in each testing area and an overall score of 7.5;
- that you obtained these scores in the same test;
- that you obtained these scores in your most recent sitting of the test; and
- the original stamp and test report form number.
IELTS certificates are valid for two years. Your certificate must be valid at the time we decide to sponsor you for GMC registration with a licence to practise.
Your Occupational English Test (OET) certificate it must show your candidate number and that you:
- took the medicine version of the test;
- obtained at least a grade ‘B’ in each testing area (speaking, listening, reading and writing);
- obtained those grades in the same test; and
- obtained the grades in your most recent sitting of the test.
OET certificates are valid for two years. Your certificate must be valid at the time we decide to sponsor you for GMC registration with a licence to practise.
Please note: the OET may not be acceptable evidence of your English language skills for the purposes of obtaining a UK visa. You will need to check with UK Visa and Immigration for their requirements.